SUBSCRIBE
Tech Journal Now
  • Home
  • News
  • AI
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Best Buy
  • Software
  • Games
Reading: ‘Competition is healthy’: Overwatch 2’s director sets the record straight about its rivalry with Marvel Rivals
Share
Tech Journal NowTech Journal Now
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • AI
  • Best Buy
  • Games
  • Software
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • AI
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Best Buy
  • Software
  • Games
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Tech Journal Now > Games > ‘Competition is healthy’: Overwatch 2’s director sets the record straight about its rivalry with Marvel Rivals
Games

‘Competition is healthy’: Overwatch 2’s director sets the record straight about its rivalry with Marvel Rivals

News Room
Last updated: July 15, 2025 1:16 am
News Room
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Marvel Rivals and Overwatch 2 have been intertwined ever since the former’s beginning. At first, players dunked on Rivals, saying that it was a poor copy of Overwatch 2. Then, as Rivals’ open beta progressed and we closed in on its official release date, many claimed that its arrival would mark the death of Overwatch 2.

What actually happened is much less dramatic. Marvel Rivals released to great success with over 400,000 players at launch. Meanwhile, while Overwatch 2 saw a bit of a decrease in turnout and a slower season, it was able to claw its way back into relevancy with a very impressive Perks update and new Stadium mode.

The timing of these updates being so close to Marvel Rivals’ release and success made a lot of people think that it was, in fact, a direct response to such. But apparently that’s not the case at all, at least not according to Overwatch 2 director Aaron Keller.


Related articles

“So much of what we were doing this year—from perks to Stadium to map voting—we did full hero bans, and all the heroes we’re releasing have been in the works for over a year,” Keller tells streamer Jay3 (via GamesRadar). “As part of a new strategy for the game to have a big annual kick-off to the year.”

A lot of what we see in Stadium had been shown years in advance. Individual Powers like Soldier 76’s healing pylon that could follow him as he ran were actually first shown at BlizzCon 2021 alongside a progression and talent system as part of the promised PvE update. I don’t doubt that after this mode was confirmed dead, the devs began theorising ways to repackage the content, which would eventually lead to the new Stadium mode.

I Could Ask Overwatch Devs ANYTHING… Here’s what they said – YouTube


Watch On

“I think that competition is healthy,” Keller continues. “It does force people to innovate more and to always be putting your best foot forward, but I don’t think what you’re seeing in Overwatch 2 right now is a response to Marvel Rivals.”

I don’t think that last remark really adds up. I never thought that Marvel Rivals would shut Overwatch 2 down and take every last player with it. But there was still a huge amount of pressure, especially as players waited to see how the Overwatch 2 devs would respond to the challenge that Rivals posed. It must be hard to ignore that kind of atmosphere and expectations while you’re working on new content—work wasn’t done in a vacuum.

Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.

But regardless of whether content released since Rivals has been in response to its success, I have to say that this has been the best year for Overwatch 2’s history. We finally got a huge update with a whole new standalone mode, Stadium, and every season has brought a ton of new fantastic content like Perks, heroes, maps, and adjustments.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Monster Hunter Wilds’ poor post-launch reception bubbles up to the surface in shareholder meetings, though Capcom says it’s ‘committed’ to fixing performance and content woes

Sketch crew Aunty Donna’s latest improv piece turned their set into a giant side-scrolling videogame and it’s great

Open-source Morrowind project just got an update 3 years in the making that might have me saying bye to the vanilla game for good—oh, and you can load Skyrim in it now

‘Legal inquiry’ shuts down one of Final Fantasy 14’s most popular mods, adding yet another blurry line in the sand from Square Enix

Battlefield 6’s ‘Very Aggressive Listening’ audio mode sounded like a joke until I turned it on, and now I can’t go back

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Trending Stories

Games

Haunted Chocolatier: all the key details on the followup to Stardew Valley

August 29, 2025
News

Startup Radar: Hiring and HR tools, dementia care, AI for financial advisors, and smart home lights

August 29, 2025
Games

Dinolords blends action RPG combat and RTS battles in a medieval England overrun with dinosaurs, and surprisingly it’s even cooler than that sounds

August 29, 2025
Games

RPG throws the ring of monetization into Mount Doom, drops gacha mechanics right before launch to avoid ‘pay-to-win mechanics and forced spending as much as possible’

August 29, 2025
Games

All Genshin Impact 6.0 livestream codes

August 29, 2025
Games

Total War: Warhammer 3 finally playable now someone’s modded in an entire crab empire faction with its own mechanics, lore, and enormous crustacean units

August 29, 2025

Always Stay Up to Date

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US on Social Media

Facebook Youtube Steam Twitch Unity

2024 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Tech Journal Now

Quick Links

  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?